UCSD celebrates scholars at Fiesta de las Estrellas event
Joseph Ocampo, who came from a low-income household with a history of mental illness, would not have been able to attend a university had it not been for scholarship support. Since its founding, Fiesta de las Estrellas — translated “celebration of the stars” — has raised more than $1 million for undergraduate scholarships.
“I wouldn’t be at UC San Diego without scholarships,” Ocampo said in a press release. “There’s also a social dimension to the scholarship support. It’s nice knowing that there are people who believe that my future should depend on how hard I work, not my ability to pay.”
This year’s other scholarship winners are Alejandra Calderas, Lucio Calderon, Victor Contreras, Eric Fonseca, Alex Fung, Nicole Garcia, Stephen Khuu, Darlene Lopez, Juan Luis Melendez, Margarita Orozco, Adam Ramierez, George Santellano, Sabrina Santilli, Rachel Torres and Yvette Yeager.
- La Jolla battered overnight by storm
- La Jolla Country Market burglarized, safe stolen
- Elementary schools kick off La Jolla’s Halloween fun
- La Jolla parks and beaches group opts to become nonprofit
- La Jolla native calls Medal of Valor ‘crowning moment’ to lifeguard career
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=39740