La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun things to do in and around town, week of April 21-28
Tale As Old As Time
San Diego Junior Theatre Company will present “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast,” based on the Academy Award-winning animated feature and directed by Rayme Scaironi, April 29-May 15 at Casa del Prado Theatre, Balboa Park. The curtain rises 7 p.m. Fridays and 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. There will be an ASL-interpreted performance Saturday, May 14. Tickets are $8-$14 at (619) 239-8355 or Juniortheatre.com
La Jolla YMCA will host a presentation by Andrew Skurka about his 4,700-mile trip around Alaska and the Yukon, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 21 and 9-11 a.m. Saturday, April 23 at the Y, 8355 Cliffridge Ave. Skurka will share stories, supplemented with photos and a video. On Saturday, he will also host a “Lightweight Backpacking Gear and Skills” clinic. Refreshments served. Skurka has been recognized as “Adventurer of the Year” by National Geographic and “Person of the Year” by Backpacker. Tickets $10 for members; $15 non-members. (858) 453-3483. lajolla.ymca.org
Hit the Lights
A free screening of the Disney-Pixar 2010 hit “Toy Story 3” (with popcorn!) awaits patrons 2 p.m. Tuesday, April 26 at the Riford Library Community Room, 7555 Draper Ave. The plot focuses on the toys Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and their friends dealing with an uncertain future as their owner prepares to leave for college. (858) 552-1657.
Easter in Balboa Park
The 28th annual Easter Sunrise Service will begin at 6:30 a.m. Sunday, April 24 at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion. No charge for admission, but there will be a freewill offering to be shared by San Diego Rescue Mission and Interfaith Shelter Network. The service is hosted by major area churches (including La Jolla Presbyterian) and Rev. Chris Lenocker of the Faith Presbyterian Church will give the message. There will be choirs, a brass ensemble, and Jared Jacobsen at the Spreckels Organ. Parking is free.
Down the path at Marie Hitchcock Puppet Theater there will be two performances of “Benito Bunny’s Great Easter Egg Hunt,” 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Tickets $3-$5. (619) 544-9203. Further down the path, the 52nd annual Easter Lily Display is in full bloom at the Botanical Building, 1549 El Prado, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free.
Reproduction in the Ocean
Birch Aquarium at Scripps presents a spring program of activities that spotlight egg-laying marine animals and their eggs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 21-24. Kids can make a shark egg craft, listen to stories, and participate in an “egg-hunt” — all included with admission, $12. 2300 Expedition Way. (858) 534-7336. http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/
City Ballet of San Diego closes its 18th season with “Carmen,” music by Georges Bizet and choreography by Elizabeth Wistrich, plus “Enigma,” music by Micahel Cretu and videography by Peter Oliver, 8 p.m. Friday, April 29; Saturday, April 30 and 2 p.m. Sunday, May 1 at Spreckels Theatre, 121 Broadway. There will be a mini lecture 30 minutes before each performance and an on-stage reception after the Saturday show. Tickets from $29. (858) 272-8663. city ballet.org
Catch a Concert
• Mainly Mozart presents violinists Ani and Ida Kavafian, violist Richard O’Neill, cellist Robert deMaine and pianist Anne-Marie McDermott, 8 p.m. April 29 and 30 at The Neurosciences Institute Auditorium. Tickets $48. (619) 239-0100. mainlymozart.org
• Flutist Lori Bell, pianist Joe Azarello bass legend Bob Magnussen and guitarist Joey Carano will be jammin’ jazz 8 p.m. April 29, at the Riford Adult Activities Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla. Tickets $15 for concert, glass of wine and hors d’oeuvres. (858) 459-0831.
• Texas songwriting legend Eric Taylor and folk singer Jeff Berkley, 8 p.m. April 29 at The Oasis in Sorrento Valley. Tickets $20 at www.applyliberallyenterprises.com.
• La Jolla Symphony & Chorus presents J.S. Bach’s “Passion According to St. Matthew,” 7:30 p.m. April 30 and 3 p.m. May 1, Mandeville Auditorium, UCSD campus, hear two orchestras, vocal and instrumental soloists and a radiant role for The Evangelist. Pre-concert lectures. Tickets $29-$15. (858) 534-4637. Lajollasymphony.com
• Dianne Reeves Sings Sarah Vaughan, presented by La Jolla Music Society, 8 p.m. April 29, Birch North Park Theatre, (858) 459-3728. Ljms.org
• Les Violons Du Roy, presented by La Jolla Music Society (pictured) with pre-concert lecture by Eric Smigel on the all-Bach program: The Art of Fugue, Concerto in D. Minor for Harpsichord, Sinfonia from Cantata, and Orchestral Suite No. 1 at 8 p.m. April 30, Sherwood Auditorium at MCASD, 700 Prospect. Tickets $25-$75. (858) 459-3728. Ljms.org.
- Best Bets for interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, April 14-23
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for events, the week of March 17-March 25
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun events in and around town the week of March 10-19
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for Events, week of March 4 through March 11
- La Jolla’s BEST BETS for events – Dec. 27-Jan.6
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=39677