Healthy Kids Day event kicks off La Jolla YMCA’s spring schedule
La Jolla YMCA’s annual Healthy Kids Day runs from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 16 at 8355 Cliffridge Ave. The free event will feature a rock climbing wall, dunk tank, family Zumba classes, freestyle martial arts, healthful snacks, edible art projects, childcare resource services, Security IDs, balloons, face painting, raffle prizes and more.
• Next up is the Y Triathlon for adults and children Sunday, April 17 with fun and achievable challenges.
For adults: a two-mile run, nine-mile bike ride and 250-yard swim; for ages 6-12: a two- to four-lap run, a four- to eight-loop bike ride, and a two- to four-lap swim (distance determined by age).
Starting times are 8 and 8:30 a.m. Kids will receive medals for completion of their triathlon. Proceeds will go toward enhancing the YMCA’s Aquatics Department.
The cost for this event is $20 for members; $25 non-members.
• The Y will host a presentation by Andrew Skurka on his 4,700 mile trip around Alaska and the Yukon, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 21 and 9-11 a.m. Saturday, April 23. Skurka will share his journey stories, supplemented with photos and a video.
On Saturday, Skurka will host a “Lightweight Backpacking Gear and Skills” clinic. Light refreshments will be served.
Skurka has been recognized as “Adventurer of the Year” by National Geographic and “Person of the Year” by Backpacker. The cost for this event is $10 for members; $15 non-members.
• Beginning at 11 a.m. Sunday, May 8, the Y will celebrate Mother’s Day with an all-the-right-moves Zumba Party. The two-hour event welcomes all mothers and encourages all types of groups from mother/daughter, mother/son, mother/husband, mother/friend and more.
There will be snacks for all and flowers for moms. The cost is $10 for one person, $15 for two, and $20 for three.
For more information, visit lajolla.ymca.org or call (858) 453-3483.
- La Jolla galleries open for Friday evening Art Walk
- Watercolor Magic Son discovers mother’s passion for art — and his father — after her passing
- Documentary screening at church in La Jolla to aid kids in need
- La Jolla restaurants collecting winter jackets for homeless
- Helping Hands: Here are a dozen dandy ways to spread some holiday cheer
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=38703