Highway 52 extension to Santee opens Tuesday
City News Service
The new stretch of state Route 52 will open for traffic in time for Tuesday morning’s commute, a Caltrans official said Monday.
An announcement from the agency last week said the opening would take place “weather permitting.”
Edward Cartagena of Caltrans said crews working on the roadway assured him that weather conditions would allow them to finish their final touch-ups on the project.
The 3.5-mile section will extend the east-west highway from state Route 125 and state Route 67.
Highway 52 will run nearly 18 miles from La Jolla to Santee, and officials hope it will alleviate the always-heavy traffic on Mission Gorge Road and occasional tie-ups on Mast Boulevard.
Construction began in 2008. An estimated 20,000 people turned out for a celebration of the freeway’s opening 10 days ago.
- Crowd celebrates opening of Highway 52 to Santee
- Major freeway projects in works for this year
- I-5 widening debate continues at opponents’ meeting
- Hundreds turn out for I-5 town hall forum in Solana Beach
- Meetings set on I-5 widening proposal
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=38320