Science Festival calendar packed with events for all
The jam-packed calendar for the San Diego Science Festival continues with such highlights as:
• On Saturday, Science Family Day at Balboa Park offers family-friendly science inspired adventures as part of this event at museums throughout the park.
Dozens of events will be offered to explore the world of science around us. A complete schedule including specific museum hours, admission pricing and discounts, is available at www.balboapark.org.
• On Monday, for those 21 and over, there’s a presentation on the Science of Brewing at Ballast Point Brewery that includes a tour and presentation by head brewer Yuseff Chemey and Chris White. $10 admission benefits the Science Festival.
• On Tuesday, San Diego Sport Innovators and the San Diego Hall of Champions present “Science of Sports,” one of the many events of the San Diego Science Festival. The event will be held from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the San Diego Hall of Champions in Balboa Park.
The event will cover such topics as how waves work, what design elements go into shaping a surfboard and the mechanics of the ideal jump shot. There will be demonstrations and displays including a skateboard ramp and baseball hitting machines. Science and physics students/professors and the inventors will be talk about why the sports work the way they do.
• ONn March 26 it’s Expo Day, a free event at Petco Park filled with interactive learning experiences and exhibits. It runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Among the activities are the “Giant Hampster Ball, a virtual reality 3-D simulator; the Wyland Mobile unit, a 1,000-square-foot science museum on wheels, and opportunities to see the Da Vinci Surgery Robot, a balloon camera, photron high speed cameras and Sid the Science Kid.
Organized by UCSD with the National Science Foundation and Life Technologies and hundreds of community collaborators, the festival aims to show that careers in science, technology, engineering, math are locally accessible and important to our community’s future.
- UCSD Extension hosting career expo on March 22
- UCSD scientist talks about his role in ‘Nifty 50′ program
- Nifty 50 spreads word on science careers
- Science fest gets a nod
- Research Report: Reprogramming cells leads to errors
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=37587