Young trombonist from The Bishop’s School in La Jolla takes state honors
Michael Armstrong, a 10th grade student at The Bishop’s School, has been accepted into the 54th annual California High School All-State Honor Concert Band, organized by the California Band Directors Association.
Armstrong was selected from more than 1,500 applicants — some of the most outstanding musicians in the state — who performed at the Fresno Convention Center, Feb. 17-20.
Armstrong’s next performance will be 7 p.m. Sunday, March 13 at Dizzy’s Jazz Club, where he will perform with alumni from the UCSD Jazz Camp. Dizzy’s is in the San Diego Wine and Culinary Center, Harbor Towers, Second and J Streets, (858) 270-7467.
Armstrong has won many music awards. In addition to playing in The Bishop’s School Jazz Band, he is the principle trombonist for San Diego Youth Symphony’s Philharmonic and Symphony Orchestra, and a member of its Jazz Band and its Brass Ensemble.
- Free ‘Summit’ to aid those living with Parkinson’s disease
- UCSD carilloneur wants to play YOUR favorite song in La Jolla
- La Jollan needs your votes to win Super Bowl ad contest about Doritos
- Summer internships hold life lessons for students
- La Jolla’s ‘Gem’ of the week: Inspiration
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=36949