Annual Scout banquet includes a salute to great minds
By Jackie Newman
Special to the Light
“American Inventors” was the theme of Cub Scout Pack 4’s annual Blue and Gold Dinner on Feb. 1 at La Jolla Presbyterian Church’s Fellowship Hall. About 200 scouts and their families attended. The highlights included the Webelos bridging ceremony where scouts actually crossed a bridge to be welcomed by two different troops — Troop 506 from La Jolla Methodist and Troop 4 at La Jolla Presbyterian Church.
Some of the inventors spotlighted through the evening included Pete Balsells (grandfather of Christophe Naviaux, holder of 70 U.S. patents), Thomas Edison, Joshua Cowan (founder of Lionel trains) and all the Webelos as “Future American Inventors.” At the event, scouts got the news that Fritz Ortleib will take over from Jacques Naviaux II as Cub Master of Pack 4.
- Las Patronas awards its 2010 grants at annual luncheon in La Jolla
- Silver Tea patrons show their support for children
- Tango! Tango! Tango! Athenaeum salutes Argentina
- Autumn chill in the air at last Sunsetter of the summer
- Residents host fundraiser to renovate La Jolla fire station
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=35606