San Diego Opera gala
Esther Burnham was honored for her years of support to the San Diego Opera at a gala for the season opener Puccini’s “Turandot,” Jan. 29 at the US Grant Hotel and The Civic Theatre. Patrons enjoyed cocktails, the performance, and dinner and dancing after the show.
The opera tells the story of China’s icy Princess Turandot who has built a wall of riddles around her heart to keep love away. Desired by every man, she wants none. Three impossible riddles are the test to win her love and if you fail, you die. Heads roll until the mysterious Prince Calàf arrives on the scene, determined to marry Turandot and stop the bloodshed. Following in his shadow is his father’s servant girl Liù — who loves him so deeply she dies for his happiness. Show dates Feb. 4 and 6. Photos by Renay Johnson.
- Las Patronas awards its 2010 grants at annual luncheon in La Jolla
- Historical Society event launches speakers series
- Timken’s holiday party is an elegant affair
- Gala raises funds for marine education programs for teens
- Colbie Caillat rocks out for juvenile diabetes cure
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=34810