Opinion: Don’t complain if you don’t participate
The calls are out for people interested in playing a role in La Jolla’s future, and they’re coming from several angles.
You’ll see one elsewhere on this page from Joe LaCava on behalf of several local groups, one from the new group calling itself the La Jolla Village Merchants Association seeking nominees for its board and one from the Shores Association looking for board candidates.
In a note urging Shores residents to step up, Joe Dicks puts it pretty clearly: “Without adequate representation on the Association’s board, the voice of our community will be silenced. The LJSA wants and needs your participation in the local political process to ensure that the vision we have for La Jolla’s future becomes a reality.”That goes for the whole community as far as we’re concerned.
If you care, get involved. If you don’t, stop whining that it’s always the same people on the boards and committees that have a say in how things operate around here.In some cases we agree, but there are explanations for why that happens: Once you’re on a board, the groups name people to serve on committees. Of course, there are some people who either live to serve and those who have higher aspirations and like the limelight.
While that overlap is not as rampant as some may think, it isn’t always a negative — those people bring an understanding of the community and how it’s run. We need some continuity, but we also need new faces to bring a new perspective and new energy to organizations searching for new ideas. Right now the opportunities abound:
• Jan. 25 is the deadline to nominate candidates to serve on the board of the new business group. If you own a business within the Village group’s boundaries and want to serve or have an employee you want to nominate, go to www.lajollabusinessesunite.org/ to find the form.
• Feb. 3 is the deadline to join the LJCPA so you can vote in the March election. See Joe’s column below.
• Feb. 9 is the deadline to nominate yourself or someone else to serve on the Shores Association board. To nominate someone or for more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you don’t want to run, the least you can do is join up and vote. Let your voice be heard.
- Opinion: Happy New Year, neighbors
- Opinion: It’s time to open the chapter of the 20-20 decade
- What are you waiting for La Jolla Shores residents, an invitation?
- OPINION: Time for Caltrans to pick up
- Opinion: Whitney project a travesty
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=33313