Week in Sports: Bishop’s off to fast start
By Phil Dailey
The Bishop’s School’s boys soccer team is picking up right where it left off last season.
The success this season is a bit of surprise for coach Malcolm Tovey, who had several players graduate from last season’s Division IV CIF championship squad.
“It’s a very young team compared to last year,” Tovey said. “We have done well defensively. I am pleased with the progress so far.”
Leading the way this season has been senior captains Tyler Evens and Brent Thomas as well as Matt Harris (sophomore), Charlie De La Lama (freshman), Harrison Flagg (sophomore) and Adam Malkiewicz (senior).
Despite the fast start to the season, Tovey is weary since the meat of the team’s schedule is about to get under way.
“What we are trying to do right now is develop a team to where we are peaking when we reach the CIF playoffs,” Tovey said. “All we do is focus on the next game that we have, bearing in mind the things we have to accomplish.”
The team will play at Francis Parker on Friday, followed by their next home game on Jan. 21 against Horizon Christian.
Here are the the scores from last week:
Tuesday, Jan. 4
• Otay Ranch 67, Bishop’s 52
Dominique Love had 24 points, while Dominique Watkins added 14 points in the loss.
• St. Augustine 55, La Jolla 44
Nick Reynolds led the Vikings with 16 points.
• Our Lady of Peace 52, La Jolla 10
• Point Loma 50, Preuss UCSD 31
Wednesday, Jan. 5
• La Jolla Country Day 69, Monte Vista 33
Kaylah Miller led the team with 28 points as she made nine 3-pointers on the game. Maya Hood added 20 points and seven rebounds as well.
• La Jolla Country Day 2, Pacific Ridge 2
Warren Wood and Lee Klitzner each had goals for the Torreys.
• La Jolla Country Day 4, Pacific Ridge 0
Emily Eible led the Torreys with two goals, while Hannah Weiser and Katherine Klicpera each added a goal.
• La Jolla 5, Oceanside 0
• La Jolla Country Day 6, Cathedral Catholic 4
Freshman Jack Little led the Torreys with three goals while sophomore Zach Feldman added two assists in the win.
Thursday, Jan. 6
• Bishop’s 9, Army and Navy 0
Harrison Flagg had two goals in the game while Robin Park had one goal and two assists.
• Preuss UCSD 47, Escondido Charter 45
Friday, Jan. 7
• La Jolla Country Day 2, Preuss UCSD 0
Chase Mertz had two goals for the Torreys and Hunter Khaleghi had two assists. Adam Schechtman had the shutout in goal.
• La Jolla Country Day 1,
Escondido Charter 1
• La Jolla 2, Canyon Crest 1
• Bishop’s 2, Rancho Bernardo 1
Girls water polo
• Point Loma 3, La Jolla Country Day 0
• Bishop’s 9, Santa Margarita 7
Gabby Stone had 18 saves in the win for the Knights while Clary ann Olofddon-Loo and Jessica Webster each added three goals in the win.
• Bishop’s 61, El Camino 36
Alissa Campanero had 15 points for the Knights in the win, while teammates Devon Roeper added 13 and Imani Littleton had 12.
• University City 51, La Jolla 28
• La Jolla 37, University City 35
Nick Reynolds led the Vikings with 14 points in the win.
Saturday, Jan. 8
• La Jolla Country Day 63, Ventura 31
Both Kelsey Plum and Maya Hood added 19 points in the win. Maya Hood also added 11 points.
• Bishop’s 56, Los Osos 54
Alissa Campanero had 25 points, while Devon Roeper had 11 points and 10 rebounds in the win for the Knights.
• La Jolla Country Day 87, Calipatria 33
Girls water polo
• Newport Harbor 6, Bishop’s 4
Jessica Webster led the Knights with two goals, while Gabby Stone had 16 saves in goal.
Monday, Jan. 10
• La Jolla 3, Santana 0
Karly Zlatic scored all three goals for the Vikings in the win.
• Poway 1, Bishop’s 0
- Week in Sports: Torreys drop first losses of the season
- Bishop’s comes up short in Holiday Classic
- Torreys make it back-to-back
- Sports roundup: La Jolla Country Day wins CIF cross-country title
- La Jolla preps ready for football season
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=32737