Actor Ted Danson among speakers to address librarians in San Diego
As libraries continue to experience an uptick in use, while striving to provide services under the burden of deep budget cuts, more than 10,000 library leaders, publishers, authors and guests will gather at the San Diego Convention Center, Jan. 7-11, to discuss the state of America’s libraries. Key issues of discussion include new technologies, library privatization, the importance of school libraries, and ensuring the future of libraries.
Midwinter Meeting highlights include:
• The ALA Youth Media Awards, 7:45 a.m. Jan. 10, to honor children’s and young adult authors and illustrators and producers of children’s audio and video materials. The awards include the prestigious Caldecott and Newbery medals; Coretta Scott King Book Awards; and Printz award.
• Keynote speakers will include Ted Danson; Neil Gaiman (“The Graveyard Book”); David Levithan (“Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist”); Stewart O’Nan (“Snow Angels”); Armistead Maupin (“The Night Listener”); Susan Vreeland (“Girl in Hyacinth Blue”); Richard Rhodes (“The Making of the Atomic Bomb); and more.
• The Sunrise Speaker Series, 8-9 a.m. Jan. 8-9 will feature forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs, author of the Temperance Brennan series and creator of the FOX series “Bones,” and author Andre Dubus III of “House of Sand and Fog,” an Oprah Book Club pick and National Book Award finalist.
For more information, go to ala.org/midwinter
- BEST BETS: Fun things to do in and around La Jolla this week
- She makes you feel like dancin’! Blogger ends yearlong project with a community dance in Balboa Park — and you’re invited to boogie on down!
- Let Inga Tell You: Here’s a tale about the cat who came in from the cold
- Wild about Harry, Potter fans gather in La Jolla for trivia contest
- Let Inga Tell You: Too much information on feminine products
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=31071