Tony Young chosen as new City Council presidentBy City News Service
Tony Young was unanimously chosen Monday to be the new president of the San Diego City Council.
His colleagues cited his fairness and support for open government.
“As chairman of the budget committee, he has opened the doors to government and let San Diegans in,” said City Councilwoman Marti Emerald.
Councilwoman Sherri Lightner said she valued Young as “an elder statesman on the council.”
The council president presides over meetings of the full council and can place items on the agenda through the City Clerk’s Office.
Young represents southeastern San Diego, where many of his constituents live below the poverty line.
- DeMaio releases financial recovery plan for San Diego
- DeMaio’s comments on special firefighter pay ignite fire chief
- Sanders calls for suspension of public arts program
- City Council to consider new rules for medical marijuana dispensaries
- Tax activist sues to block sales tax proposition
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=30307