Organizers confirm SDSU will face Navy in Poinsettia Bowl
It will be San Diego State University against Navy in the Dec. 23 Poinsettia Bowl, game officials announced Wednesday.
San Diego State finished the season with an 8-4 record after defeating UNLV 48-14 last weekend, and is bowl-eligible for the first time in 12 years.
The U.S. Naval Academy still has a game remaining, on Saturday against Army.
“This is a great day for college football in San Diego,” said Eric Graves, the bowl president. “To have the hometown Aztecs in our homegrown bowl game is something very special. And for the Navy Midshipmen to be the opponent
is icing on the cake. This most certainly will be a bowl game to remember for many years to come.”
The official announcement was scheduled fo 7:15 tonight at SDSU’s Viejas Arena, before the Aztecs men’s basketball game against St. Mary’s College.
San Diego State last appeared in a bowl game in 1998 — the Las Vegas Bowl against North Carolina.
- Week in Sports: Bishop’s moves on in CIF playoffs
- Perfect Bishop’s Knights have high hopes in CIF playoffs
- Vikings tennis team nets key win over Cathedral
- Bishop’s volleyball prevails over Cathedral Catholic
- Week in Sports: Fall seasons getting under way for La Jolla high schools
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=29963