Warning issued on century plants in Bird Rock
Bird Rock Community Council has issued a warning for people walking their dogs along La Jolla’s bike path: Avoid the patch of century plants on the west side of the bike path off Via Del Norte.
The plants, members of the agave family with a bluish tint and sharp thorns on the end of their leaves, have recently expanded into a large grove.
Century plants are poisonous to dogs. Squirrels hide in the toxic plants and dogs chasing them in there can get the toxic plant juices on their fur, ingest it and become extremely ill.
Two dogs were recently exposed. One died. The other required extensive emergency care and hospitalization.
— Light Staff
- Dads say injured La Jolla teens improving, thank community for support
- La Jollans rally for teens hurt in crash as Cass Street Cafe reopens
- La Jolla crash injuries at 5; driver faces felony charges
- 3 children, 1 adult hurt as drunk driver crashes onto sidewalk, into La Jolla restaurant
- Bird Rock has plenty of opportunities for community involvement
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=1300