Fire Run will bring street closures Sunday
Several La Jolla streets will be closed Sunday morning as the annual San Diego Fire Run/Walk winds its way from its starting point on Prospect Street to the finish line south of Felspar Street.
Race officials told La Jolla community group representatives over the past few weeks that nearly 3,000 runners and spectators are expected for the event which benefits five local nonprofits: San Diego Fire Rescue Foundation, Surfrider Foundation, Make-a-Wish, Jeans 4 Justice and Volunteer San Diego.
The beneficiary list was expanded this year and participants are able to pick their favorite cause to benefit from their registration, said Scott Chisholm, CEO of sponsor StayClassy.
The event starts at 8 a.m. over a four-mile downhill course. For details go to www.firerun.stayclassy.org.
Here’s what will be closed:
- Prospect Street from Girard Street to Fay Avenue — entire block closed 6:30 to 8:15 a.m.
- Prospect from Fay to La Jolla Boulevard — closed 7:45 to 8:15 a.m.
- La Jolla Boulevard from Prospect to Pearl — closed 7:45 to 8:15 a.m.
- La Jolla Boulevard from Pearl to Loring — closed southbound 7 to 9:30 a.m. Traffic will be allowed northbound and police will allow vehicles to cross if there are breaks in runner traffic.
Southbound La Jolla Boulevard will reopen as runners clear out.
- La Jolla crime report for Aug. 7-14
- La Jolla cityhood idea gets a nod from Town Council crowd
- Bird Rock block remains dark
- Dance students entertain Legion members
- Group will look at multiple options for replacing Promote La Jolla
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=1122