Bird Rock has plenty of opportunities for community involvement
By Kathy Day
Felicia Parker of Bird Rock is one busy lady.
At last week’s community council meeting, she detailed three events she’s involved with:
- Sponsor a Classroom program, which provides funds to the elementary school’s teachers so they can buy supplies and equipment,
- Birdstock, an end-of-summer event that’s replacing the Taste of Bird Rock this year, and
- the community entry in the La Jolla Christmas Parade.
Parker, whose husband is president of the BRCC, started the Sponsor a Classroom program several years ago as part of Taste of Bird Rock.
Not wanting the program to disappear when the event was called off this year, she’s keeping it going by seeking families and businesses willing to pay $250 to support a classroom.
“The teachers are so appreciative,” she said, noting that the funds have been used outside the 21 classrooms as well to buy physical education gear and library and science materials.
She urged people to sign up early because a lot of residents really believe in this cause.
Parker also stepped in for Pamela Garvey, who’s chairing the Sept. 11 community event dubbed Birdstock that include bands expected to begin playing around 4 p.m. as well as activities for everyone.
She also talked about plans for making fused glass tiles that will be embedded in the wall at the Waverly Gate at the park entrance. Families can purchase and make tiles at the event.
Being in the planning mode, she also said she’s looking for volunteers who want to get involved in planning Bird Rock’s Christmas Parade entry. So far, in two years of having a float, their entry has won “Most Original” and “Best Community Spirit,” she said, adding with a smile, “We have to keep getting better.”
- Bird Rock block remains dark
- La Jolla kindergartners, parents getting head start on making friends
- Volleyball coach accused of sexual assault pleads not guilty
- Agents interrupt smuggling operations off La Jolla, Point Loma
- UCSD's Vinetz to head malaria study
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=723