Sea Grants awarded to four local researchers
By City News Service
California Sea Grant has awarded funding to 17 marine research projects, including four from San Diego, to further the program’s expertise along new avenues of scientific inquiry.
Local awardees include:
- Lihini Aluwihare, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, analyzing mussel populations for levels of brominated compounds;
- William Gerwick, Scripps Oceanography, investigating the pharmaceutical potential of marine cyanobacteria;
- Lisa Levin, Scripps Oceanography, creating proxies for evaluating invertebrates’ exposure to pH and oxygen; and
- Kevin Hovel, San Diego State University, studying trophic interactions on Southern California’s rocky reefs.
In total, about $550,000 was awarded to the year-long projects, including traineeships for 13 graduate student researchers.
- Scripps glaciologist wins Muse Prize
- Scripps podiatrist uses lasers on toenail fungus
- Scripps professor receives NIH Director's Pioneer Award
- Scripps Health starts work on proton therapy center
- Philanthropist, heart valve inventor dies
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=683