Summer Pops top busy arts week
Summer is just around the corner and there are plenty of fun and exciting things to counteract San Diego’s June Gloom. It’s County Fair time, a favorite for every age and there’s plenty at the Del Mar Fairgrounds to entertain the entire family. If a satire of politics and gender sounds appealing, check out Robert Dubac’s new show. Step into summer in style at the Summer Pops opening night kickoff concert featuring Dionne Warwick. Or recapture the magic of Andrew Lloyd Webber with “Phantom of the Opera.” Finally, in the as-seen-on-TV category, the American Idol Tour 2008 comes to town.
- - “Male Intellect: The 2nd Coming!” is now playing through July 13 at the Lyceum Theatre in San Diego. The comedy stars writer/actor/comedian Robert Dubac.” The 2nd Coming!” is the long awaited sequel to Dubac’s critically acclaimed show “The Male Intellect: An Oxymoron?,” which toured more than 500 U.S. cities and 10 different countries.
Deconstructing the female brain is just one of the many challenges Dubac takes on during this one-man show. With the audiences’ help, he also embarks on a mission to separate the truth from illusion and unravels Hype and Spin served up by politics, religion and the media in an effort to see the Bigger Picture.
Tickets are available online at www.miracletheatreproductions.com or by calling (619) 544-1000.
- - Enjoy San Diego’s warm summer nights relaxing by the bay, watching the boats in the harbor and listening to some good music at the San Diego Symphony’s 2008 Summer Pops season. Along with regular concerts this year also includes Summer Pops Special Concerts. A Tux ‘n Tennies Gala on June 14, opens the Special Concerts events when guest artists Dionne Warwick and Kool & The Gang will entertain at the casually elegant soiree. Tux ‘n Tennies is the dress code of the night. Other guest artists of the Pops Season include Frank Sinatra, Jr., Burt Bacharach, Marvin Hamlisch, and Mary Wilson of The Supremes as well as several tributes. For a schedule, tickets, or more information visit www.sandiegosymphony.com/summerpops/.
- - Andrew Lloyd Weber’s “Phantom of the Opera” is coming soon but anyone anticipating attending might want to grab their tickets now to this wildly popular show. “Phantom” runs July 16 – August 10 at Broadway San Diego’s Civic Theatre. Based on the classic novel by Gaston Leroux, “Phantom of the Opera” tells the story of a terror-exercising masked figure who lurks beneath the catacombs of the Paris Opera House. He falls madly in love with the innocent young soprano Christine, who is intrigued by the man but unaware of his devious methods. The longest-running show in Broadway history, the musical is the winner of seven Tony Awards including Best Musical and has grossed more than $675 million, making it the highest-grossing show in Broadway history. The show stars Howard McGillin in the tile role with Jennifer Hope Wills as Christine and Tim Martin Gleason as Raoul. For tickets call (619) 570-1100, (619) 220-TIXS or visit www.broadwaysd.com.
- - The American Idol TV show continues to knock TV ratings out of the park. San Diego fans who want to see the American Idol Tour 2008 on July 2 at the San Diego Sports Arena may want to grab their tickets before the event sells out. Series creator and promoter Simon Fuller says the show will have more than 50 stops. American Idol Tour 2008 will include 10 of the show’s contestants including the two finalists; winner David Cook and runner-up David Archuleta as well as Jason Castro, Kristy Lee Cook, Chikezie Eze, Michael Johns, Ramiele Malubay, Syesha Mercado, Carly Smithson, and Brooke White. This time last year they were virtually unknown and through the magic of television and some smart producers, these kids all have a career in the making. Visit tour.americanidol.com/ for tickets and information.
- La Jollans always feel at home at the Living Room
- La Jolla: A Brief History
- La Jolla Visitor Center marks fifth anniversary
- La Jolla Shores extra cleanup funded once again by residents: City budget shortfall won’t foul La Jolla Shores beauty
- La Jolla real estate broker earns prestigious award
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=14238